JAred D. Scott
Jared Scott focuses his practice on helping clients avoid and resolve legal problems. Whether that means taking a case to trial or negotiating a favorable settlement before a lawsuit is even filed, clients count on Jared to get the job done effectively and efficiently. He aggressively and successfully represents plaintiffs and defendants in the construction, network marketing, legal, financial, healthcare, real estate, insurance, and natural resources industries.
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2008
- Articles Editor, Virginia Environmental Law Journal
- Moot Court Team Member
- Academic Scholarship Recipient
- B.A., cum laude, Communications, Brigham Young University, 2005
Litigation Attorney, Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, LLP, Dallas, Texas, 2008-2011
Litigation Attorney, Sedgwick, LLP, Dallas, Texas, 2011-2013
- After obtaining favorable evidentiary rulings on eve of trial, negotiated settlement of multimillion dollar fraud claims against condominium developer for pennies on the dollar.
- Represented contractors, subcontractors, and owners in negligence, construction defect, and payment claims throughout the United States.
- Network Marketing
- Negotiated settlement of consumer class action claims against high level network marketing distributors for less than $10,000 dollars each while other defendants paid millions of dollars to settle similar allegations in the same lawsuit.
- Secured summary judgment in favor of network marketing company on $30 million dollar breach of contract claims brought by ground-floor level distributor.
- Professional Liability
- Represented environmental engineering firm in dispute with oil and gas companies and municipal authorities involving EPA authorized cleanup of a polluted waterway.
- Represented structural engineering firm in dispute over construction of reservoir.
- Acted as first-chair attorney in administrative trials before the Utah Division of Medicaid and Health Financing, obtaining favorable results and creating precedent that resulted in the dismissal of dozens of other similar claims.
- Obtained dismissal of medical malpractice, contract, and other claims against health insurer and its physician employee arising out of disputed coverage claim.
- Real Estate
- Obtained favorable settlement for real estate purchaser in dispute against sellers and real estate agents that failed to disclose known defects in the purchased property.
- Defended real estate developer and broker against fraud and statutory claims arising out of mass sale of developed lots in St. George area.
- Secured summary judgment on behalf of fidelity insurer for claims arising out of alleged embezzlement by company executive.
- Negotiated favorable settlement of claims involving disputed insurance coverage over watercraft rentals.
- Natural Resources
- Secured prejudgment attachment of millions of dollars in oil and gas leases against oil and gas developer that failed to pay contractor pursuant to the terms of the parties’ agreement.
- Assisted investor in securing $20 million fraud judgment against publicly-traded energy company in claims arising out of failed farmout agreement.