stephen p. horvat
Steve graduated from Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California, Berkeley, in 1991, where he was an Executive Editor of the Ecology Law Quarterly. He served as a law clerk to Utah Supreme Court Justice Christine M. Durham from 1992 to 1993, after which he taught legal analysis, writing, and research full time for three years at the University of Idaho School of Law.
Steve began practicing as an associate with the firm of Hanson, Epperson & Wallace in 1996. He joined Anderson & Karrenberg as an associate in 1998 and became a shareholder in 2002. His practice covers a wide spectrum of commercial and general civil litigation matters, but over the past few years he has focused primarily on professional defense, primarily legal malpractice defense, and commercial contract matters.
Steve is licensed to practice law in California and Utah.
- J.D., Boalt Hall School of Law, Berkeley, California, 1991
- A.B., Philosophy, University of Illinois, 1987
U.S. District Court, District of Utah, 1992
U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, 2001
- Member, Litigation Section of the Utah State Bar
- Member, Appellate Section of the Utah State Bar
- Davidson v. America Online, 337 F.3d 179 (10th Cir. 2003)
- Griswold v. Snow Christensen & Martineau, No. 2:08-cv-00197-TC, 2010 WL 4180597 (D. Utah Oct. 20, 2010)
- USA Power v. PacifiCorp, 2016 UT 20, 372 P.3d 629
- Johnson v Utah Dept. of Transportation, 2006 UT 15, 133 P.3d 402
- Volvo Commercial Finance LLC The Americas v. Wells Fargo Bank, 2007 UT App 209, 163 P.3d 723
- Shaw Resources Limited v. Pruitt Gushee & Bachtell, 2006 UT App 313, 142 P.3d 560
- Obtained summary judgments and judgment notwithstanding the verdict in defending law firms on the basis that the plaintiff had not presented evidence of causation and/or injury. (Three cases.)
- Successfully defended engineering company in action alleging professional negligence relating to cleanup of polluted canal (favorable settlement).
Successfully represented party to an oral oil and gas partnership in dispute regarding ownership of partnership assets and mineral rights (favorable settlement).
Multiple cases involving non-competition agreements, trade secrets, and commercial and business contracts.
- Justice Christine M. Durham, Utah Supreme Court, 1992-1993
- Martindale-Hubbell® has given Steve its BV rating.
- Board member, Open Classroom Charter School, 2006-2010
- Board member, Timberline Lot Owners Association, 2012-present